Monday, December 18, 2017

Winter Wonderland Tag


I've been tagged!!  Cordy tagged me for the Winter Wonderland Tag which was created by Amaris of The Storybook Journal.  Thank you so much, Cordy!!!  I was quite in the mood for a good tag!  :D
 
The Rules:
 
1)  Link back to The Storybook Journal 
2) Answer the questions; think Winter-y thoughts! Include pictures, if you like.
3) Tag at least 3 other bloggers, or more if you're feeling ambitious. :)
 
 
1. Name a few things you love about Winter, and a few things you don't love so much about it.
 
Things I love:
~Beautiful snowfalls.
~Cold nights when you get to pile extra blankets on your bed and be enormously cozy and snug.
~The "necessity" of sitting in front of a heater and soaking up tons of heat.
~CHRISTMAS!!
 
Things I don't love:
~Freezing my hands off while dusting snow off my car.  (Okay, so I wasn't wearing gloves.  My fault.  :P)
~The hassle of having to put shoes and a coat on every time you go outside.
~The sad, sad feeling when the heater decides the room is hot enough and turns off on you before you've entirely finished roasting yourself!  I mean, how is one to survive such a tragedy?  (Waaaaah.  You can't do this to me!  Come back on, you heater!  Do you want me to freeeeeeeeze?)

2. When you were a child, did you "believe" in Santa Claus?

Oh, no indeed.  Perish the thought.  In fact, my siblings and I were those obnoxious kids who made it our business to convince other kids that believing in Santa Claus was utterly ridiculous.  (Because we were just sweet like that, ya know?  Always thinking of others and looking out for their best interests.)
 
3. Is there a book or movie that you really love to read in the Winter as opposed to other times of year?
 
I actually can't think of any particular one at the moment.  Sorry.

4. Is there a particular Christmas movie that you watch EVERY year as tradition?


It's a Wonderful Life.  Love that movie! 
 
5. Do you usually get a real tree or a fake tree for Christmas?  Who's in charge of decorating it at your house?

A real tree.

As to who's the official decorator...I don't really know.  Probably my mom.  She usually does the majority of the decorating, though we're so laid back about the whole thing that there's never much of a system to it really.  Kind of a slap-happy sort of thing.  Different ones of us do different things depending on who's in the mood for it.  Like for instance, this year my mom and one of my brothers strung the lights on the tree, then two other brothers hung lights in the kitchen one random evening when they were at home, and a few days later more lights went up in the dining room when my sister finally managed to convince some of my other siblings to help her.  (I confess I dodged on that one.  Made myself scarce, you know?  I just didn't feel like hanging lights.  I did put a couple of my ornaments on the tree though.  That was impressive.  Ha.)
 
6. Does your family usually stay home or go visiting (relatives, friends, etc.) on Christmas Day?

We stay home and the family comes to us.  Namely my two married siblings and their families.  We used to get together with my dad's side of the family (always went to my grandparents house for supper), but my grandpa passed away a couple years ago and the tradition has pretty much ended now.  It's sad, but that's kind of what happens once the grandkids start growing up and moving out.  It's so much harder to get everyone together.
 
Our stocking display.  We've almost run out of steps.

 7. What does your family usually do on New Years Eve?  Any traditions?  Do you ever stay up till midnight?

Nothing really.  It's pretty much like a normal day.  And no, we don't have any special New Years traditions.  As to staying up till midnight, we don't make a point of it.  We do that often enough on regular days, that doing it on New Years Eve just isn't all that special. 
 
8. Do you get snow where you live?  If so, have you ever built a snowman and named him Olaf?

Yep, we get snow.  Some years not so much, but we usually have at least one or two good snowfalls in the year.  I'm sure I made a snowman at one time or another when I was a kid, but that was many long years ago (and before Olaf's time), so no, I've never named a snowman Olaf.  :)

Isn't this a darling picture?  I love the little boy's face, and how gingerly he's working to place the carrot nose just right on the snowman's face.  Also the little girl's polka-dotted hat.  Isn't it adorable?!  (I rather love polka-dots.)

9. If it's snowing outside, would you prefer to go outside and build a snowman and enjoy it, or would you rather stay inside with a  blanket and something hot to drink and maybe a movie or a book?
 
I opt for staying inside.  The snow is very enjoyable that way, too, you know.  And a blanket, with a warm drink, and a movie or a book sounds delightful!!  :D

10.  When do you start looking forward to or getting excited about Spring?


When I start to catch those early whiffs of the changing season.  That's when I really get excited.  :)

And now, I'm going to be very naughty and not tag anyone.  *ducks head*  Sorry.  But this post has already taken me far too long to write and...and...and...

(Okay so maybe I don't have a good excuse.  What do you think of that?  ;))


Hope you're all having a marvelous December, my friends!!
Christmas is only one week away!! Can you believe it? 

 

23 comments:

  1. I'm sweating in our study, because it's past 7PM at night and it's super humid and hot and I will have to write this in a few seconds. :P
    1. Your Christmas tree is pretty! :D Ours is SO much more stuffed with decorations though, haha. You can barely see the tree. XD
    2. You know, we NEVER did the whole 'stockings' thing. We always put our presents (all prettily wrapped with little name tags) under the tree!
    3. How do you ever find such darling pictures?! (You have almost identical taste to my Mum, haha.) They're adorable, especially the snowman one. <3
    4. Nope, still hasn't sunken in that Christmas is so close... but I'm getting excited!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I don't blame you! Who wants to sit and write a long comment when one is stiflingly hot? :P

      1. Thank you! :) Yes, our tree decorations are rather sparse this year. We usually have it far more stuffed with ornaments, but we older kids aren't putting up all of our ornaments anymore because there are just so many. (Also some of us were a bit lazy about the whole decorating thing this year. -coughcough- I didn't say I was one of them... ;)) So yeah, I think we have less up this year than we've had in a long time. (Now I'm curious to see what your tree looks like. Got any pictures handy? *hint, hint* ;))

      2. Oh, we put presents under the tree, too! The stockings are for smaller gifts (mostly candy, haha).

      3. I don't know. It's pretty random, really. Way too much time spent googling, I guess. Haha. ;P (Well! Your mom certainly has good taste. :))

      4. Me, too!!! :D :D

      Delete
  2. "The sad, sad feeling when the heater decides the room is hot enough and turns off on you before you've entirely finished roasting yourself!"
    Haha, YES! Someone who understands! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your giant line of stockings! Though... if you don't get presents from Santa, then what are the stockings for, pray tell?

    That painting of the kids and the snowman is adorable <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stockings are for candy!! Lots and lots of candy! Candy that is bought by one's mom and stuffed into one's stocking by mom and dad on Christmas Eve night. (Or perhaps stuffed by oneself when one is an older sibling and graduated to the class of those who help mom with the Christmas wrapping. Haha. ;)) You see? I couldn't believe Santa stuffed them even if I wanted to...especially on those years when I'm doing the stuffing myself. Haha. ;D

      Isn't it though?

      Delete
    2. Ahh. Candy is good.

      Belief in Santa isn't about believing there's actually a Santa. It's more like belief in the joy of giving. I don't literally believe in Santa, but I insist that he exists metaphorically. I mean, I just sent toys, a bag of chocolates, and a grocery store gift card to complete strangers, friends of a friend who are having a really tough time right now and had to return the presents for their 11-year-old so they could repair their vandalized car so the parents can keep their jobs. I've never met them, never will. But did sending them $30 of toy/chocolate/gift card from Amazon spread joy? Well, it gave me joy. I hope it will give them joy too, and let them know that they're not alone. And so I signed the little gift message "from Santa" because right then, I was being Santa. I was giving a gift to a stranger, no strings attached, merely because giving someone else joy gives me joy. That's what Santa Claus means. To me, anyway.

      Delete
    3. Oh I know! It's not a literal belief in Santa. I was just teasing about that. As an adult I can definitely understand the magical and fun side of it a lot better than I could as a kid. As a kid, my logical mind just said "Santa isn't REAL! Why would we pretend he is?"

      I love what you said about sending presents to total strangers and signing your name Santa. That's actually really cool, because Santa has become a part of our culture, our heritage if you will, and giving presents under his name brings a real feeling of tradition and togetherness. And yes, joy. I really like the way you described that.

      Thanks so much for your thoughts on this subject. We never had Santa traditions growing up so I hardly even know what people do for that. It's cool to learn more about what it means to other people. I doubt I'll ever really get into it myself, but that's not because I think it's a bad idea. I just don't tend to do a whole lot for holidays in general. I mean I had to make an effort just to put a few of my ornaments on the tree this year. That's how out of it I am. ;P

      Delete
  4. Loved reading this tag, Miss March!

    I echo your sentiments on winter exactly! I NEED HEAT.

    My mom is definitely in charge of our Christmas tree. I mean, we help put the branches in (we have a fake tree) and hang ornaments, but she does the rest.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine!

      Yes! Heat! Give me heat!! :D

      Ohhh! What you said about putting the branches in...that just sent me back to my childhood. We used to have a fake tree when I was a kid and I remember the whole process of each kid grabbing a branch and hurrying to connect it to the tree. It was such fun!

      Thank you! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

      Delete
  5. Yes yes yes!!! It’s a Wonderful Life is like the best! We watch it basically every year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite Christmas movie EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably my favorite as well!! :D

      Delete
  7. Love how you put this: "Cold nights when you get to pile extra blankets on your bed and be enormously cozy and snug." It is the best!
    I've taken to wearing gloves because when I drive because the steering wheel is so very cold! Sheesh!

    Well, I would have been one of the children you argued with, but couldn't budge. I had several children that tried over the years and not one of the succeeded. ;D

    Look at all your stockings!!

    7. I'm the same! I'm easily awake until midnight most nights.

    Merry Christmas, Miss March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it really is!!

      Clearly you're the smart one here! ;)

      Oh dear. I have a feeling you would have driven me crazy! Not to give in to all my logical arguments?! How could you be so stubborn? Hahaha. ;D

      It's a lot alright!

      7. Just part of the life of a Charming Crazy! ;)

      MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

      Delete
  8. This is delightful! Loved reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The part about you and your siblings being the ones who tried to convince other children that Santa isn't real sounds an awful lot like my siblings and me! All of my younger cousins believed in Santa, but my siblings and I never really did, so we were the odd ones out. While I don't think we ever really tried to make them not believe in him (their parents wouldn't have been too happy!), we did certainly like to discuss the silliness of the whole idea amongst ourselves. ;P

    Aww, your family's tree is so cute! And wow, that is an impressive display of stockings! I like how y'all have them going up the staircase; we typically hang ours over the fireplace.

    I enjoyed reading your answers, Miss March! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* I'm glad I'm not the only one who grew up thinking Santa was silly. ;) I really don't know how many people we actually tried to convince of their "error". I mean, I remember one particular conversation with a girl from our church, but other than that, yes...we certainly discussed it amongst ourselves. Heehee. ;P

      I love the idea of stockings over the fireplace!! Unfortunately we don't have a fireplace. We do have a fake mantle but of course it's too small for our stockings anyway. :)

      Thank you! And thank you so much for your comment! I enjoyed it very much!! :D

      Delete
  10. That photo of all your stockings made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete