Monday, March 18, 2019

"These are the things that upset me!"


In other words, this is a post about some very random (but oh so very vital) movie pet peeves of mine.  Those storylines, characters, situations, or what-have-you, that send me running for my soap box...or in more desperate situations begin the creative juices for my next novel in which I'm determined to right all wrongs, and do things the way they were supposed to be done!! 
 
(I warn you in advance, this post will most likely have very little rhyme or reason to it.  I'm just going to plunge right in, so goodness knows where we'll end up.)
 
 
1. When a child loves her pet so much that her father's inability to save it from dying causes her to turn her back on her father and be totally cold and unresponsive to him.  Like...grrrrrrr!  I'm sorry, guys, but this makes me so, so mad!!  You can't love a cat more than you love your dad!!  I mean if your dad is really cruel to you or something, then maybe...but the situation of which I speak was not that way, and I consider it very unnatural for a small child to throw away the love of her father simply because he didn't fix her cat!  (Pardon me while I go let off some steam...)
 
AAAAHHHHHHH!!!
 
(P.S.  The movie I'm referring to is an old Disney film entitled The Three Lives of Thomasina.  I had hopes of it being a good movie because it has the kids from Mary Poppins in it...but unfortunately my hopes were dashed.  Yes indeedy, this movie left much to be desired.)
 
2. When a stupid cat that you care nothing about is somehow supposed to be the great heroine of the story...while all the time she's just very obnoxious and you find yourself wishing whole-heartedly that she would find some way to choke, drown, shoot herself, or...or...something!  Just so as we could be rid of her for good and all.  (The Three lives of Thomasina again.  What can I say?  That movie clearly does not bring out the best in me.)
 
3. When girl falls in love with guy and guy falls in love with girl but...oopsy!! Guy is already married.  How are we supposed to get out of this mess??? 

Don't worry.  It's actually quite simple.  Guy's wife is of course nasty and mean which draws our sympathy against her in favor of the true love that guy and girl share...so...the solution?   Quite simple really.  Wife is in the way.  Wife must die.  (Or get a divorce.  *shrugs* That works, too.)   So it's done, and we all go forth happy because once again true love has won!!! 
 
UGH AND DOUBLE UGH!!! 


I'm thinking primarily of this couple here...


...and this couple, whose names I can't remember but who made me very, very mad.  Bad, bad, bad.)
 
Seriously.  Just once I'd like to see a story where the man in question does not have a rotten wife, and where he actually comes to his senses, goes home, honors his marriage vows, and together he and his wife fix their marriage!  And furthermore a story in which we the audience are encouraged to support the marriage rather than the "fuzzy duzzy love-a-thingy."
 
I've said my piece.  I rest my case. 
 
4. The newly widowed heroine pursued by numberless suitors before her husband is cold in his grave.  And the whole "you must be open to love again" jargon.  Give me a break.  Wouldn't it be so refreshing to have a heroine who actually remained unmarried, and who wasn't pursued by every available man just as soon as her first love is out of the picture?  (coughcough...looking at you Love Comes Softly and When Calls the Heart...coughcough.)
 
She's joking, right?  I mean, second marriages, that's what we're all about.  You lose half the romance if you don't allow for a second marriage.  (I mean, literally, you do.)  Come on now!  How could you dare suggest such a thing?  *Very, very affronted at the mere idea* 
 
5.  When the hero falls for a manipulative and obnoxious girl, who the filmmakers don't even seem to realize is a totally annoying person.  You know, like when they think the annoying and obnoxious girl is like the heroine or something and that we're supposed to be happy this is happening!!  No thank you.  (And I'm sorry but I don't have a specific scenario in mind for this one, I just know I've seen this before...somewhere.)

6. When a wife decides not to share a very important bit of information with her husband because she wants to protect him...and all the time you know that's only going to make things worse, and that they're totally setting themselves up for more drama and heartache in the future, so you sit there screaming "COMMUNICATE PEOPLE! COMMUNCIATE!!"  But of course they don't because, I don't know *shrugs*...logical, intelligent thought never was their forte???

Or common sense is dead maybe.
 
Anyhow, I guess that's the end of my rant for today.  I sort of punched a hole in my soap box when I pounded my foot down too hard, and yeah, I kind of need to figure out how to extricate my foot from that painful situation.  Not that I can't endure pain--I mean, it's not like I'm a squeamish person or anything--but it's just a bit difficult walking around with ones foot in a box. 

I'm sure you understand.  

And now I shall leave you with these very intelligent parting words. 


Because as you all know, that's my motto in life. 
 

14 comments:

  1. Ugh, you are so right about 3, 4, 5, and 6!!! I hate it when that happens (And I don't use that word a lot)!!! I don't see how it the world the people who make films think that we are okay with those things when we obviously aren't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right??? What IS it that makes them think that's a good sort of story? Ugh.

      Delete
  2. 1 & 2 don't/wouldn't really bother me *wicked grin*, but I feel you on some of the others.

    (LIKE ANNA AND BATES. I mean, we've talked; but seriously, it's so good to have someone else in the blogging world who doesn't think they're the Greatest and Best and Worthiest couple. :-/

    I mean, I understand that sometimes there are really awful situations with abusive wives or husbands, but you're right; it's portrayed far too often in film with not enough accuracy or care in the portrayal . . . *sigh*)

    Love this post idea, by the way. ;)

    "I mean, literally, you do." << *snickers even though I confess I did like those two together*

    The Alice in Wonderland theme is fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why. (I mean, it's not like you have a soft spot for animals yourself, now is it? Heehee. ;))

      AGREED!! Someday we're going to have to watch this together and then do our ranting in person! (Wouldn't that be fun?)

      Yes...and it's not so much the situation of there being a bad wife or a bad husband...it's more when it feels like the filmmakers have made the wife/husband bad simply for the convenience of the couple they perfer to have together. If that makes any sense.

      Thanks!

      (Better than Missie and Willie?)

      Glad you think so! :)

      Delete
    2. ;-P ;-P

      (Yes!!! Someday . . .

      Exactly.)

      (I'm afraid so.) (Or, rather, it's that I like younger Missie and Willie together, but I think the older actress works way better with the newer guy. Plus I just like them as a couple, I think.)

      Delete
    3. Oh! Yeah, I can see how you might like the second Missie better with the newer guy. That makes sense. I really should watch these again and see what my opinion is now. :)

      Delete
  3. NUMBER 4. Ohmygoodness, yes.

    Question, though: does Jane Eyre fall into the category of #3??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You feel it, too? :)

      Oh no! Jane Eyre is quite different. It's hard to explain really, but one big difference is the fact that Jane leaves as soon as she finds out that Mr. Rochester is married. So marriage is clearly not being taken lightly in this story...and I appreciate that.

      Delete
    2. Okay, good! I was hoping that Jane Eyre was not in mind when you wrote that because I do see it as very different, too. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, of course! It is very different indeed. :)

      Delete
  4. Haha! I love laughing while agreeing, which is what I did throughout this lovely, hilarious post. Number 3 because, yes, no, and could you not, and why, and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.
    And number 4 because yes, why, and are we not allowed to grieve, and oh pardon me I didn't realize it was a sin NOT TO REMARRY, and just ???.
    And also everything, though.
    And I love your motto and am truly inspired by the dedication with which you adhere to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling so hard to myself right now. Seriously, Sarah, you're hilarious! Your comment made my day!! :D I'm so glad you can relate to this. And also, THANK YOU!! I'm so pleased you feel that I've been living up to my life's motto. (Haha. ;))

      Delete
  5. This is most amusing, my dear!! I'm not particularly concerned with the first two merely because I've never experienced an agitation in that circumstance before (or even experienced that circumstance before), but the others I 110% support. Marriages should be valued far higher above any 'love at first sight', the newly widowed does not need scores of suitors, (or even any in a lot of cases! At least not straight away!), annoying girls don't deserve to be heroines :P, and indeed sometimes I do believe common sense is dead. And I am an extreme activist when it comes to good communication. COMMUNICATION IS ESSENTIAL, PEOPLES. The world will be turmoil and strife without it! *goes off in a huff*

    Excellent post. I rather enjoy sitting beside you on my soap box too. I hope your foot is no longer stuck, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabby. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And that you could relate to the last several points. (I'm not surprised that the first two themes weren't as relate-able, because, yeah, they're definitely not as common as the rest.)

      Thanks again. And yes, fortunately I was able to extricate my foot from the box so all's well that ends well. :)

      Delete