Friday, April 6, 2018

I have returned, my friends. I have returned...to haunt you.


Wow.  It's been more than a month since I posted, and considering that I never wrote one of my typical "I'm taking a blogging break" posts, I'm afraid it may have seemed as if I'd fallen off the face of the earth.  (Ouch.  That would have hurt.)  No worries though.  That phenomenon did not happen to me.  My feet are still firmly planted on the good old ground.  And I am here, my friends.  Here to relate to you all the marvelous and exciting things that have been going on in my life lately.  (Yes.  This is a "Lately I've been" post.  And no, I'm not really going to tell you everything that's been going on with me the past couple months.  That would take far too long.  Be far too boring.  And...it just can't be done, okay?)
 
Right.  So.
 
Lately I've been:
 
 
~Working~
 
Business picked up this past month at the motel (due to the changing seasons) so I was suddenly a great deal busier than I had been since December.  Between work at the motel and work at the café I've been feeling pretty exhausted.  (Okay, maybe keeping late hours and watching too many movies and a few other factors play into that as well, but we're not talking about that right now, we're talking about work.)  Yes, and speaking of work, I did it again.  I quit another job.  (Because that's what Miss Marches do best!)  No but seriously, it was a responsible, clear-headed decision.  It really was.  In short,  I am no longer working at the café.  I decided to pick up more hours at the motel instead and focus on just one job.  And I think it's going to prove to have been a good decision.  I have high hopes for finally getting into a more regular, consistent schedule.  And that's huge for me.  I do better when I have a consistent routine.
 
 
~Watching~
 
The Dick Van Dyke Show:  Yup.  This has been regular evening viewing for the past several weeks now.  Ever since I went and bought all five seasons on eBay.  (Yes, it was worth it.  No, it was not a waste of money.  Why would you even ask such a silly question?)
 
 
 
Boy Meets World:  My brother-in-law introduced us to this show and we're currently watching through it at my brother's house on our weekly Monday night visit.  It's surprisingly good.  Better than I had expected.  Not that I would recommend it unreservedly because I don't like everything about it, but in my opinion it's a cute show, and I am growing quite fond of the characters. 
 
Thumbs up?  Sure, Cory.
 
War and Peace:  O-kaaay.  So this movie was really quite something.  And by something I mean good somethings and bad somethings and...yeah.  To be brief, it had some highly inappropriate scenes and I wouldn't feel comfortable actually recommending it to anyone.  But...it also had some really powerful moments, some great character development, and some very moving storylines.  Also a really good ending.  So yeah, I admit, by the time it was over I was totally invested in a lot of the characters, and I might watch it again (provided of course that the handy-dandy remote is, well, handy.  You know.  ;))
 
 
The Good Doctor:  I rarely ever watch current TV shows, but my brother saw part of this while staying with my grandparents during the fall, and the two of us decided we'd like to watch it together.  So we got a free month's trial on Hulu and watched all eighteen episodes in a week and a half.   We just finished it last night and ohhh!  The last episode was so good, but so emotional.  I was close to tears, okay?  (Disclaimer:  I'm not really recommending this show.  I mean, I enjoyed it, but I feel like it should definitely be viewed with caution.  It's not for everyone.  First off it's a doctor show so there are lots of surgeries and blood and all that--honestly, I had to look away at some parts--and secondly they deal with some very adult topics, as well as some of the typical social issues of our day--coming of course to the politically correct conclusions on those topics, which happen not to my conclusions, so yeah.  That's kind of annoying.  It's definitely not a show for kids and, like I said, definitely to be viewed with caution.  That's my opinion anyway.) But aside from that, I really did enjoy this show.  And there are some really cool characters in it.  The main character, Shaun Murphy is of course my favorite.  He's such a unique character!  He's autistic, ridiculously smart, and brutally honest, which makes for some very interesting interactions with other people.  He's also just super sweet and very loveable.  And I like him a lot.  :D 
 
And yeah.  I'm feeling kind of sad now because it's all over and there's no more to watch for another year.  :( 

Still, there's an upside to it.  I won't have to be staying up till 1:00 and 2:00am anymore to watch it.  I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.  Would you agree?  (Haha.)
 
 
 
When Calls the Heart season five sneak peaks:  When you don't have TV and you can't watch the actual episodes, you watch the sneak peaks and the previews.  Not because they're necessarily worth watching but because you must have something to distract you from what you should be doing.   Isn't that how it works?
 
 
~Reading~
 
Jane Eyre: Started it.  Got distracted by other things.  Haven't read it for weeks.  Typical, typical, typical.  (I do want to get back to it sometime though.)
 
Jane Austen's Minor Works:  I've been making my way through these very slowly.  Her minor works are not like her novels.  Not so easy to get into.  However, I've still got my bookmark in place and I plan to finish them eventually.  Howsoever long it may take me.  What I really wanted to do was read her unfinished novels again, but they're at the end of the book so...must wait.  Gotta do things in order.
 
War and Peace:  Okay, so I was inspired to read this after watching the movie.  I mean, it's sort of been on my to-read list ever since my dad and brother read it the other year, but it's a daunting task, and I never quite got around to it.  Well, now I have.  And what do you know?  I am officially daunted.  Even more so as my older sister started reading it soon after I did, and had the audacity to read at a fast pace that I was reading.  I mean, that's not fair!  I started it first, I should finish it first.  But no.  She's way ahead of me now and there's no way I'm gonna catch her and...it's hurting my ego, guys.  I quit.  Okay, not exactly quit.  I mean, I am going to try and read the book still.  I just quit the race.  The race that really wasn't a race but which I made into a race out of pure selfish silliness--or silly selfishness--or whatever you want to call it.  Yeah, that one.  I own myself defeated and go and pout in a corner.  The end.
 
~Thinking~
 
...Exactly what else am I supposed to include in a "Lately I've been" post?  I mean, I've covered books and movies and work...what else is there?
 
Oh that's right!  I forgot!
 
~Writing~
 
*Dun, dun, dun, dun*
 
*cough*
 
Not much.
 
"Now, now.  If you can't think of anything better to say than that!"

Sorry, Percy, but it's the truth.  I've just not been doing much writing lately.  Unless you want to count emails.  But even those I'm starting to fall behind on.  They're piling up on me again and...OH NO!
 
Help, help!!  I'm drowning!!  Someone save me!  I can't write.  I can't think.  I can't...

"Do calm down.  There's no need to get flustered.  Sink me!  Just take a deep breath, and a pinch of snuff, and you'll be right as rain in a moment."

Did you say "sink me"?  Wow, that wasn't very sensitive of you, was it?  Right after I tell you I'm drowning, and you have to go and say "sink me".  Is that your idea of a joke?
 
"Odds fish, my dear fellow.  How you do talk!  You really are making very little sense just now. 
But don't worry!  I have a plan!"
 
Oh yeah?  And what would that be, pray?
 
"Go to bed, Miss March.  Just go to bed."
 
And she did.
 
*signing off at 1:37 am*



21 comments:

  1. Odds fish m'dear, this was an extremely good post! ;) And it was so great to hear from you after... so long!

    I'm glad your work is going well. And just sticking to one job sounds good too - a lot less complicated and stressful. :)

    AHHHH I KNOW I KNOW THE GOOD DOCTOR!!!!! <3 <3 <3 (Okay, so maybe it's just because of Freddie Highmore that I'm so very attracted to that TV show... but oh, I can't HELP myself.) I've only seen about 6 or 8 episodes, but I'm super keen to see the rest. (The frustrating thing is, my elder sisters like to begin TV series, get me excited about them, and then decide that they don't care for them and move on to something else. I mean, RUDE. And their taste differ vastly from mine at times. :P) Maybe I shall have to watch it by. my. self. Humph.

    Yes... War and Peace... I would like to read that one day. It's pretty thick, though.

    I've not written any of my stories since... December. Eeesh. My break is definitely a break. Well and truly. I've written a play, though, and poems, and essays and emails and letters and journal entries... so it's not like I've stopped WRITING. (Oh horrors no! That couldn't even be POSSIBLE.) But gee, I would like to start my other story...)

    What a good girl Miss March is, for doing what Percy says and going to bed! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad you liked it. :) Oh I know! It feels like such a long time. And I don't think I realized how much I was missing all of you until I got your comment this morning. Thank you for that! :D

      Yes, exactly.

      You've seen it, too?!! Oh yay! Now I have someone to talk to about it!! :D (Heehee. I perfectly comprehend your feelings. ;)) Oh, do watch more of it! Then I can discuss all the episodes with you without worrying about spoilers. (Wow. Sisters. How inconsiderate can they be?? ;P "I mean, RUDE." Hahaha!! That comment literally made me laugh!!! :D)

      IT IS! Hence why it's such a daunting task to read it. Plus all the Russian names are rather confusing. :P

      WOW. I should say not. You've been doing A LOT of writing!! Good for you! I hope you can manage to get back to your story soon though. :)

      Haha. It was rather good of me, wasn't it? ;)

      THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT! LIKE SO MUCH. It was SO good to hear from you again!!! :D

      Delete
  2. YOU STAYED UP LATER THAN WE TALKED.

    MISS MARCH.

    FOR SHAME.

    (Heehee, but I did, too. ;))

    Now, more seriously, what a delightful post! You're "Lately I've been" posts are somehow always fun and always seem like regular posts. I don't know how. :-P

    And for some reason it made me happy that you opened with a picture of Percy. ;)

    Ooh, what did you think of The Good Doctor?!?! I mean, I guess you already explained what you thought, but would it be possible to give a slightly more detailed content appraisal? Like, how many "scenes" were there?

    I also kind of want to see Boy Meets World and The Dick van Dyke Show.

    Fun post, m'dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T TERRIBLE?!! But I blame you. If you hadn't distracted me so shamefully, I would have been done with my post long before and happily alseep in my bed. Maybe. *cough* (Haha. ;P)

      Aw, thanks! I'm so glad you liked it. :)

      ;D

      I actually really did like it, and I'm liking it even more in retrospect. I guess 'cause I'm sort of missing the characters now. :) As to "scenes", well...that's kind of hard to explain. It's not like there was anything in it that I felt was TOTALLY inapproriate (I mean I've seen other movies with simliar stuff), but for one, there were several bedroom scenes which were a leetle bit awkward (not to mention that the couples were not married. But that's our modern day society for you, I guess). There are doctoring scenes in every episode, many of which my brother and I were too squeamish to watch. We just kept saying "No, doctor! Don't cut. Don't cut!" But the doctors never listened to us. Haha. ;) Of course it's not like I consider those scenes inappropriate or anything. You'd just want to be careful if you don't do well watching that kind of stuff, I guess. Really though, the main issue for me was the one episode which dealt with a transgender patient. It was just annoying. Because of course the opinion of the filmmakers on that subject is completely different from my own, and thus the characters all acted differently than how I wanted them to. You know what I mean? It's just kind of frustrating. Like that's such a controversial subject, why does it even have to be put into a show? Can't we just forget about it for once? I guess it was mainly that episode that made me feel like I need to add a disclaimer.

      Ohhhh! Have you never seen The Dick Van Dyke Show?? Olivia, was must remedy that! Also, despite having said that I would not exactly recommend Boy Meets World, I actually would sort of recommend it. I mean, I refrain from officially recommending because I don't know what sort of things other people are comfortable with in movies, and I don't want to say "This is great! You'll love it!" if their standards and preferences are actually very different from my own, and they actually end up hating it. (And me for misguiding them so dreafully, haha. ;)) Do you know what I mean? But yeah, in your case, I recommend it. I mean, I honestly don't know if it would be your cup of tea or not, but I find it quite hilarious and fun, and I'd love to know what you think of it if you ever watch it. :)

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. MISS MARCH!!!! What a winning pair you make with Sir Percy!! :D This post was delightful!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. <3

    No, of course buying all the seasons of Dick Van Dyke was not a waste...or if you've wasted your money than so did the sister of your fellow Charming Crazy. However, I still think the odds are in your favor. In your sanity's favor that is. ;)

    Okay, you're interaction with Sir Percy there at the end, fantastic!! It was so fun to read. I was grinning and laughing all the way through. All the pictures and the dialog, "Did you say "sink me"? Wow, that wasn't very sensitive of you, was it? Right after I tell you I'm drowning, and you have to go and say "sink me". Is that your idea of a joke?" XD OHHH, I have missed you in the blogging world. (But don't think that I blame you for taking a blogging break without warning--unfortunately, I do that all the time.)

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend!!

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! *bows* I do my best. :) (I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it!!)

      Thank you for you unfailing support! You are too good. (Oh, and please tell your sister that she has very good taste in movies. ;))

      Wow. You're just making me smile so much!!! THANK YOU! I don't know how I've survived this whole month without one of Cordy's comments!! Love you, friend! :D

      You, too!

      ~Miss March

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love the Dick van Dyke show to death :)

    And allllll the Scarlet Pimpernel images/memes/references. I love them DEARLY!

    Excellent post, Miss March!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeee! Isn't it great?!! :)

      *grins*

      Thank you, Catherine! :D

      Delete
  5. MISS MAAAARCH!!!!

    You and your adorably entertaining writing have been so very missed!

    Can I just say "yes" in response to your writing/creativity woes? I understand your plight. Painfully so. I've been trying to write a post about them actually (ya know, trying as in thinking and doing nothing about it ;) ) But oh well! Perhaps you have inspired me!

    Thank you for returning to us once more!

    ~Emma
    (Whiskers and Wildflowers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! You are TOO sweet! Thank you so much, Emma! That means a lot to know that I've been missed! :D

      Ahhhhh! I hear you! The trials of being a writer when the words just won't come. It's hard. :/ I do hope you can manage to get that post written and get back some of your inspiration though. It always feels good when the creative juices are flowing. :)

      Thank YOU for your comment!! It was so good to hear from you! :D

      Delete
  6. Your Sir Percy bit was PERFECT. Especially his advice at the end and how you did exactly what he told you. ;D

    I don't really have much else to say...most of this I already knew about. ;) And we'll have LOTS of time to talk again soon. (:P)

    PS. OKAY BUT DID YOU HEAR ABOUT WHAT SUPPOSEDLY HAPPENED TO JACK??? I was so happy a few weeks ago when I found a clip of their wedding on youtube. <3 Aww. Even though I haven't been able to watch the show since season 3, it's nice to know what's happening in Hope Valley. ;P

    BUT THEN, I heard something that made me very very unhappy and...it's not okay.
    Here is the spoiler-y clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQso8_pthzA

    UGH HALLMARK WHYYYY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks. ;)

      Too many phone calls. Now nothing is ever news to you anymore. What a shame. Haha. ;P

      P.S. WOW. I do NOT hear about that!!! That is CRAZY!!! What a way to end an episode. :P I would be VERY upset over this if I wasn't VERY skeptical. I bet it's just a big build up and he'll be back in the next episode. Because honestly, they can't keep doing the show without Jack! That just wouldn't work. I think it's a false alarm.

      Still, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

      Delete
  7. WHEN CALLS THE HEART SEASON 5 SNEAK PEEKS. SAME. And now they're killing me because ??? Jack ??? I don't know what's going on???? Aaaah!!!

    I love how you do the picture-conversation-thing when you have nothing else to say on whatever topic you introduced. ("Me? I do that?") Yes, yes you do. I am on to you. :D
    But no need to fear. I LOVE it when you do that, and I'm quite sure everyone else does too. Very clever of you. ;D

    I appreciate that you give those warnings about TV shows and movies! It's good to know that stuff.

    I'm looking at the comment and your response just above this box (Natalie's comment) about WCTH and BOY I HOPE Y'ALL ARE RIGHT. Gaah.

    Anyway, lovely post! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it as always. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!!! Like what even. Is there not enough drama in this show already that they have to add something like THAT?!

      Haha. You're on to me all right. ;P

      :)

      Yes, indeed! We'd better be right! Because honestly, that is NO way to end a season. No way AT ALL!

      Thanks, dear!

      Delete
  8. Natalie and Rae,

    Well, girls. So much for my skepticism. I read a review of the final episode and it looks like it wasn't a false alarm after all. It seems pretty apparent that Jack really does die. Isn't that awful? I really didn't expect them to do that. I mean, I get that the actor maybe wants to go on and do some different things, but why not just stop with five seasons then? With everyone together and happy. Grrrrr. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT. ME TOO. I WAS (AND AM) SO HORRIFIED.Like what??? Sure I guess I can respect Daniel Lissing's decision (I guess).
      And yeah what??? Season 6??? Without Jack??? Should've stopped sooner while it was happy!

      Delete
    2. Gahhhh, NOOOO. Why why WHY. It's like Love Comes Softly all over again but WORSE because Jack DOES NOT DIE AND HE SHOULD NOT. They just got married! They should have ended with the wedding. *folds arms and pouts*
      There's no way I'm watching any WCTH where Jack is dead. They're probably going to try to give Elizabeth a new romance sometime. I just...argh. Hallmark is stupid. :P

      I'm not devastated by this or anything...but I just needed to....vent. Jack is one of my favorite fictional heroes ever. :(

      Delete
    3. "I guess." < Same!! :'D I'm like "yeah I get that actor wants to move on....BUT HE'S JACK YOU CAN'T MOVE ON YOU HAVE TO STAY IN THIS FICTIONAL WORLD FOREVER AND EVER." :P

      Just not fair :(

      Delete
    4. EXACTLY, Rae!! How can they even contemplate doing another season without Jack?! He was the best character in my opinion. And yes, like you said, Natalie, THEY JUST GOT MARRIED! Why couldn't we have ended on that happy note?

      Yup. Love Comes Softly all over again. "We need another love story! What can we do?? Oh right. Kill off a husband. That always works!" Ugh. :P

      Get this though, I also read that Elizabeth receives a letter which Jack wrote to her before he died (one of those "if I die, you'll read this" type of thing) and guess what he tells her! That he hopes she will not close her heart off to love in the future. Isn't that SO annoying?!! I mean, yeah sure, of course people remarry and that's great, but why does that always have to be the first thought? It just feels like a total set up for another romance, which none of us really want at this moment, am I right? (Oh but wait! Charles! That's how it will be! Charles will come back, and he and Elizabeth will get married and we'll all be SO HAPPY!!! *gag* ;P) (That was a joke. ;))

      Anyhow, I'm not exactly devastated either. I mean, When Calls the Heart isn't my favorite show, so it's not like this is heartbreak for me or anything. Mostly it's just annoying I guess. Especially when I consider that in many ways they seem to be stretching themselves thin on plotlines...so why stretch it even further, why not just stop at five seasons? (Less is oftentimes more, you know. ;))

      Okay. I'm done. ;P

      Delete
    5. Seriously though, another romance for Elizabrth?? What??? (Oh goodness no not Charles, what a ghastly joke!) I didn't know that about the letter but that definitely sounds like a set up to me.
      But like??? It took Elizabeth and Jack 5 seasons to get married and we all knew they were going to end up together from halfway into the very first episode ever! How long will they have to drag it out if the bring in another guy??

      My sister is saying we should just watch Season 5 up to the wedding episode and then stop. I think I'm with her!!

      Delete
    6. (Haha. That was a bad joke, I admit. ;P)

      I shudder to think of it. Another five seasons? Eight maybe? Ten? ;P

      Yeah, just pretend that's the real ending. Why not?

      Delete